Ah! The day is over. And we could not see #Pakistan or #PakistanZindabad become twitter trend:( Yes, twitter freaks made lot of effort. I don’t think that grand daughter of poet Hasrat Mohani @RumaisaMohani slept in last 24 hours as she was continuously tweeting and re-tweeting (RT) #Pakistan. Farhan Masood, Dr. Awab Alvi, Amna Tariq, Farrukh Siddiqui, Pakstruck, Husain Haqqani (Ambassador) and many more left no stone un-turned but we could not make it.
Why Pakistan could not trend? Following are the reasons.
- If we filter #Pakistan, we see not more than 50 Twitteroholics who are passionately working on it. Twitter is not popular in Pakistan unlike facebook. I believe if there are 1000 Twitter users working with some strategy, becoming trend is a piece of cake.
- We lacked Trending Strategy. Some were hashtagging Pakistan, some were hashtagging Independence Day. All of a sudden, Ambassador Husain Haqqani tweeted #PakistanZindabad with request to retweet and hashtag. I think our efforts got diluted with different hashtags. There is no such thing as concerted and focused effort.
- Time zone also played negative role. When Pakistan was awake North America was sleeping and when they were awake, Pakistan was in rest state. I believe people in Pakistan needed to align with North America/Europe to create ‘thrust’ of #Pakistan in order to trend.
- I observed that many twitter users who continuously throw muck on Pakistan stopped hashtagging Pakistan and stopped their tweets. That’s great sign that negativity was buried or ran away. But their withdrawal from scene counted to make Pakistan not trend.
- Pakistanis being not so Twitter lovers, did not use tweet scheduling applications that automatically throw your tweets at pre-planned intervals. With such applications, you can save your fresh tweeting time and utilize the same for retweeting. Bufferapps.com is such application that sends your tweets at pre-decided intervals. Next time, we can use such applications to create thrust of tweets.
Trending is not after all life and death but it always looks great to see your country at top of virtual world. One thing positive that I saw is that with so many patriots jumping on twitter made the Pakistan bashers run away at least for two days. Pakistan Zindabad!!