Many people complain that they applied everywhere but no body called them for interviews. They conclude that for job hunting you need strong reference/parchi. It’s not the case.
Against one advertised position, organizations receive hundreds of resumes/CVs. The challenge for recruiter/selector is short-listing the potentially right candidates. I recruit people for my clients regularly and short-listing the right candidates for interview is a challenging task. What does recruiter do?
- A CV that looks cluttered, shabby, disorganized is deleted in 3-4 seconds.
- A CV that has more than 2-3 common grammatical/typo errors like carrier instead of career is deleted in 3-4 seconds.
- A CV that is irrelevant is deleted in less than 5 seconds. Company advertised a position of NSM and an administrative assistant sends you the CV.
- Job-hoppers’ CVs are deleted in less than 15 seconds. If you have 4 jobs in 5 years, and latest job is hardly 2 months old, you are out.
- Applicants applying from far off places are not invited for interviews. For example, if the job is Karachi based, two people of same education and experience apply, one is from Karachi, other from Lahore, Karachi’s candidate will be preferred.
- A CV that looks like a circular (is not customized) is on fast track to recycle bin.
- A CV that looks so shallow but position is strategic and company is looking for a thought leader, no chance of interview.
- Putting a picture on CV that looks like sign of pessimism will increase chances of your CV to go to recycle bin.
In the recruitment process, CV/resume is your brochure. It is the most important document. If you cannot write it, get it written by a professional. Many people say, CV is not reflection of competence. True. But a recruiter cannot call 100 people for interview. He/she has to call only 5 people. He/she will call only those who take interest in his/her own document, who are immaculate and write convincingly.
To help job-seekers craft Killer Resume, we have launched Professional Resume Writing service. To know about our packages, please send your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. A team of experienced content writers is working under my direct supervision.
Join me at Social Media for job alerts by clicking at http://xeeme.com/AshrafChaudhry