“Asking thoughtful questions is a point of difference, and will separate you from the other talk, talk, talk candidates.”
Job interviewing is a two-way lane. For the candidate and the employer alike, the aim is the best hiring match possible. The questions you ask in an interview are as important as how you answer the interviewer’s questions.
At the end of the interview, interviewers ritually ask the candidate if he has any questions. This is a great opportunity for the serious candidate to show his/her curiosity and strong candidature. You must go with a written list of questions and take the paper out immediately when this valuable opportunity comes in.
I’m suggesting some of the questions that you may ask according to the situation. Make a list of your own after researching on the organization.
- Why is this position open?
- How often has the position been filled in the past three years?
- What’re some of the objectives you’d like to see accomplished in this job?
- What would you like to be done differently by the next person who fills this position?
- If I were chosen for this position, what would be my top three priorities?
- What’re some of the more difficult problems one would have to face in this position?
- How will you and the company evaluate / know if I’m successful at this position?
- In your opinion, what products and services make this company the most successful?
- Do you see any significant changes to the company in the near future?
- What’re the advancement opportunities for this position?
- Do you enjoy working for the company?
- May I have your business card, please?
- What’re the next steps in the interview process?
- How much time will it take to hear from you?
- Can I remind you in case I don’t hear from your HR department?
Asking intriguing and intelligent questions from interviewer can serve two vital purposes.
- Whether the organization is worth working for or does not measure up to your standard?
- Is the position congenial to your talents and temperaments or it’ll be a sheer waste of time?