Dear Mian Shahbaz Sharif
May Allah grant you more energy to “Manage By Wandering Around” and set examples of playing in the fore court rather than issuing circulars while sitting in ivory towers of powers. I have never been fan of any political ‘leader’ but lately I admire some of the actions you took against some labs of Punjab that were doing roaring business while poor people were dying of dengue.
You sealed a few labs, suspended a few doctors, went to hospitals and embraced patients, raised voice over negligent staff. It’s okay. Not a big deal. Any Tom, Dick & Harry can do it. Leaders do things differently than run-of-the-mill people. They are not just time-tellers, they are clock-builders. They are not just fire fighters; they understand the cause of fire and then take remedial measures. Firefighting is for grade 16 and 17 officers, not for you. If you indulge in such fire-fighting all the time, you will be making yourself very expensive to the nation. Rise above mediocrity.
Let me suggest what can you do in your capacity. Challenge scientists of the world to create or discover vaccine of dengue and establish a fund of Rs.10 billion to fund this research. You can raise this amount in one quarter by donations and other means provided the nation knows that this amount will not go down the drain. I suggest a few names who can head “Dengue Vaccination Fund” and common people and corporate sector will make a beeline to donate. Abdul Sattar Edhi, Imran Khan, Mushtaq Chapra of TCF, Dr. Ishrat Husain of IBA, Asad Omer of Engro, Moin Fudda of CIPE Pakistan, Shaukat Tareen of Silk Bank, Syed Babar Ali of Packages are few names of known integrity. The list can be much bigger.
What are the other means that you can use to raise billions in a month not in quarters. I suggest the following.
- Sell one half of Chief Minister House. No court will take any suo moto notice if the cause is noble. Rest assured you or your offspring will not stay in that house forever. Set an example of graciousness and go into annals of history like a true leader who has the ability to see beyond the nose.
- If it is in your domain, sell half of Governor House to private sector.
- What is the price of your official cars? Bigger cars no guarantee of safety. Sell a few cars and settle for a less expensive ones.
- Reduce perks and salaries of MPAs/Ministers by 50%.
- Last but not the least, impose dengue tax on big bungalows and big cars.
Fund of Rs.10 billion can water the mouths of scientists and research institutes in the world. Don’t run after mosquitoes; just use your wisdom, vision and farsightedness (if you have) to make them ineffective by vaccination. Don’t out-run mosquitoes. Out-wit them.
My prayers are chasing you.
P.S: Nowhere I suggested that you donate a few bucks from your own pocket. But you can. Are you not one of the most blessed Pakistanis?